Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Southern Living: a simple homey casserole my kids like.
Make and share this Chicken-Macaroni Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, saute onions in butter until onions are tender.
- Add in soup and 1 ½ cups cheese; gradually stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat until cheese melts; stir in chicken and macaroni; taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 2 ½ quart casserole; sprinkle with cracker crumbs.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Top with remaining ½ cup cheese and bake 5 minutes.
This is the best. casserole. EVER! I use egg noodles instead of macaroni, and omit the onion. I also put 2 cups of cheese in the sauce, because The Boy complained it wasn't 'cheesy enough'. Definitely use the Ritz crackers on the topping - it's the BEST! The Boy is a very picky eater, so this is one of the only 'normal' foods that he will eat with very little complaint. In my book, that's a huge win!
Instead of using Ritz cracker topping, I used Pepperidge Farms Herb Stuffing Mix sprinkled on top. And lots more chicken, but no onion in the casserole. I stir fried zucchinni and onions on stove top and put on top of husbands serving. Yummy!
Easy to throw together, tastes yummy, and kid friendly. I did make a few changes. I did not use onion, as my family does not really like them, but I used onion powder. I also used the meat from a rotisserie chicken. I threw in some garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika and a couple tablespoons of REAL bacon bits for extra flavor. Finally for the finishing touch, I added some French's Cheddar French Fried Onions to the Ritz crackers and cheese on top. (just a little to hide it from the kids but add a layer of flavor to the topping.)