This recipe was originally printed in a Campbell's Soup cookbook--Easy Ways to Delicious Meals, 1970 edition. I began preparing this for my family and it became a favorite. Definitely a kid and budget pleaser. Over the years I made some adjustments.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown the onion in butter.
- Add the soup, chicken, milk and 3/4 cup cheese; heat until the cheese melts.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked macaroni and pour into a 1 1/2 quart casserole that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until hot.
I had some frozen shredded chicken to use and wanted a quick and easy meal. I used a can of cream of mushroom b/c it was all I had and I used regular milk instead of the evaporated milk. I also added some Panko bread crumbs on top to give it a little crunch. My family of four ate the entire dish! There are no left-overs! It was a hit. I's basically baked macaroni and cheese with chicken in it, but the chicken definitely adds a good element to the dish!
REALLY good, simple recipe. Very tasty - but I will definitely need to double the recipe next time. Our family of 5 (with 3 small kids) only had enough for a very small portion each. Thanks for a great recipe!
I had to make changes because I needed more. So I doubled the macaroni, cheese, and milk and seasonings. I didn't have any milk so I used coconut milk instead. I added cayenne pepper to it to. It was great.