Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Inspired by the spiced tagines of Morocco.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (1/2 lb.)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 cup cooked couscous
- 1 cup firm white breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350°; in a big skillet, heat the oil and cook the eggplant, zucchini, onion, and garlic over med-low heat, covered, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft (12-15 minutes).
- In a big bowl, use your hands to gently combine the chicken, couscous, bread crumbs, parsley, cilantro, ginger, lemon and orange peel, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne, cinnamon, egg, and cooked vegetables.
- Pat mixture into a 9x5 inch loaf pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake about 1 hour or until loaf is firm, the top is richly browned and meat thermometer reads 160°; let loaf stand in the pan for 10 minutes; then slice and serve.