Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This dish has wonderful flavors and it is easy to make.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 4 chicken tenders, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (2 ounce) package portabella mushrooms or 1 (2 ounce) package shiitake mushrooms
- 6 broccoli florets, broken into small pieces
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 6 scallions, diced
- 1 can water chestnut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 ounce bean sprouts (Optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup water, if needed
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces fettuccine pasta or 4 ounces linguine or 4 ounces thin spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a medium glass bowl, combine chicken, 2 1/2 teaspoons of white sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar and 1/4 cup soy sauce.
- Mix well to coat the chicken.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate at least one hour.
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions, drain and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the chicken broth, sesame oil, ground black pepper, curry, and red pepper with the remaining sugar, vinegar, and soy sauce.
- Remove some of this mixture to a cup and mix in the cornstarch.
- Add it back into the bowl and stir well.
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a wok or deep skillet over high heat until it smokes.
- Add the chicken and stir fry for 4-5 minutes, until chicken is brown.
- Place chicken and juices in a bowl.
- Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in the wok or skillet on high heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger, carrots, scallions, broccoli, chestnuts, cabbage and peppers.
- Cook approximatey 2-3 minutes.
- Stirring constantly.
- Add the reserved sauce mixture and then the chicken.
- Simmer until the sauce begins to thicken, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add in the noodles and toss gently to coat with sauce.
- If you don't have enough sauce add more chicken broth or water.
one of the better recipes I've found! I substituted Asian lo mein noodles for the linguini and thin spaghetti noodles. Thank you!
Very good recipe, we'll make again. It does take quite a bit of time prepping all the ingredients, but the kitchen smelled good.
This was a great recipe, my kids loved it. I didn't have any gingerroot on hand but it still turned out well. Lots of ingredients but not as hard as you would think.