Recipe by PennyG
This should probably be called Chicken livers and gravy as it forms a wonderful tasting gravy. I've had this recipe for years but don't remember where I got it. I'm posting the recipe as written and added my additions at the end. Hope you like it, can be easily doubled or tripled.(though I don't double the margarine for cooking the livers)
Top Review by Bergy
Lovely recipe. For some reason my chicken livers were extremly soft, not like thet are usually so I didn't make the gravy - I was afraid that they would be too mushy. I love having gravy but they were excellent even without it.
- 1⁄2 lb chicken liver, seperated
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 10 ounces mushroom stems and pieces, canned
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, if desired
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon or 1 chicken bouillon cube
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water, add bouillon to dissolve, set aside.
- Melt margarine in 8 inch skillet.
- Brown livers over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms (with liquid)
- Add bouillon/water, flour, salt(if using), pepper and parsley.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered
- Stir occasionally until livers are done, about 5 minutes.
- I usually use fresh sliced mushrooms as I don't really care for canned. Sorry, I'm not sure of the exact amount I use, I just add until it looks like enough -- oh, and I add about another 1/8 - 1/4 cup of water too if I use fresh mushrooms.
- I also add about 1/4 cup of diced onions and fry with liver for added flavour.
- I also do not add additional salt as I feel there is enough in the bouillon but the choice is yours.