1/3 Photos of Chicken Livers W/Caramelized Onion and Madeira
Rich tasting caramelized onions combined with Madeira makes a spectacular sauce for chicken livers. Serve with rice or over toast so you don't miss a single drop. Update: 06/22/09 - if the sauce is running low add some chicken broth or beef broth to extend it! ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a frying pan, heat 2 Tablespoons of the oil over moderate heat.
- 2Add the onions, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper and sugar.
- 3Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are well browned, about 15 minutes.
- 4Remove the onions from the pan and put on a serving platter or individual plates and keep warm.
- 5In the same frying pan, heat the remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil over moderately high heat.
- 6Season the chicken livers with the remaining salt & pepper.
- 7Put the livers in the pan, in two batches if necessary, and cook for 2 minutes. Turn and cook until browned, about 2 minutes longer.
- 8The livers should still be pink inside.
- 9Remove the chicken livers from the pan and put them on top of the onions.
- 10Return the pan to the heat and add Madeira.
- 11Boil rapidly, scraping the bottom of the pan to dislodge any brown bits, for 1 minute.
- 12Pour the sauce over the livers and the onions.
- 13Top with egg (if using) and parsley.
- 14Variations: Use 1/2 cup of Sherry or 1/2 cup of Port instead of Madeira.
Browse Our Top Chicken Livers Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Livers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Livers W/Caramelized Onion and Madeira
Serving Size: 1 (280 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.5
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 490.5 mg
- Sodium 542.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 24.9 g