Prep 1 min
Cook 20 mins
Whenever Bali Hai calls, (and you cannot afford the trip), this recipe turns the humble and inexpensive liver-of-chickens into something special ... and worth singing about.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 lb chicken liver
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, ground
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon rind, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, and chili powder and saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add livers and saute until they are cooked through but still pink inside.
- Lower heat.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over rice.
Great recipe, thank you! Added a whole fresh chilly (a bit too much in retrospect, so 1/2 would have been enough), a pinch of fresh grated ginger, a pinch of ground coriander seeds, a few mushrooms and some fresh coriander at the end and it was amazing!
Excellent recipe. I had found this on another website and was about to post it but then found yours. I usually use 3 cloves of minced garlic instead of 1. This is also very nice on top of mashed butter beans (a healthier substitute for rice).
Thank you so much for posting this chicken livers recipe! My husband is now a fan of chicken livers, when before I cooked this, he never ate livers. Now, he said, "This is great - let's cook this more often." We do like to cook together, so, this is added to our list. My husband is the 'onion chopper,' so, I will be cooking this fine recipe again. The livers made a nice gravy (I added a little flour to thicken it) and went well over the rice. It was delicious! Thanks again! Sincerely, KittyCat1225