Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
I would order this every time my parents and I would go out for dinner, it was such a big deal then. I have been making these for a long time and I still enjoy them once in a blue moon. This is courtesy of McCall's, 01/71.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken livers (about 18)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 12 large button mushrooms
- 9 slices bacon, halved crosswise
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- Rinse chicken livers; pat dry with paper towels.
- In medium bowl, combine the marjoram, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add livers; toss to combine.
- Remove stems from mushrooms; reserve for rice pilaf or some other dish.
- Wipe mushroom caps clean with a damp towel.
- Wrap each liver in bacon.
- On each of 6 skewers, alternate 3 livers and 2 mushrooms.
- Arrange skewers(if using wood ~ soak in water for about 24 hrs.) on rack in broiling pan.
- Brush with half of the butter.
- Broil, 4" from heat, 5 minutes.
- Turn skewers; brush with remaining butter and the wine.
- Broil 5-7 minutes longer, or until bacon is crisp(livers should still be pink on inside).
- Serve skewers on platter with Mushroom Rice Pilaf and some nice green peas.