Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I created this dish when my husband asked for some organic chicken livers and didn't want my usual way of making them. I met the challenge; he raved and I was pretty surprised myself at how delicious this simple recipe tasted. Luckily I have more livers in the freezer because I'm already wanting more. If you like chicken livers you will love this recipe....and it only takes 30 minutes to make.
- Heat large skillet on medium high heat for a minute, then add the butter and oil.
- Saute the onions for 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the onions become translucent and the mushrooms begin to give off some liquid.
- This should take about another 3 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside while the livers are cooking.
- Add the livers to the hot skillet, adding a little more oil/butter if needed.
- Saute the livers for about 3 minutes, but do not overcook.
- Return the vegetables to the skillet with the livers.
- Add the seasonings and stir to combine.
- Add the sour cream and stir to combine.
- Allow to heat thoroughly, but do not let the sour cream boil or it will curdle.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve this stroganoff with hot fluffy rice.
I prefer stroganoff over egg noodles, so used them instead of rice. This is delicious! I am unused to spiciness in stroganoff but I like the little bit of it here!
This recipe is the "best".
I really liked this recipe, the only thing I did was use lite sour cream and sprinkled a little parsley on the finished dish on the plate for decoration. I actually cook mushrooms similar to this all the time never thought of adding the chicken livers which I love.