Recipe by Geema
I created this dish when my husband asked for some organic chicken livers and didn't want my usual way of making them. I met the challenge; he raved and I was pretty surprised myself at how delicious this simple recipe tasted. Luckily I have more livers in the freezer because I'm already wanting more. If you like chicken livers you will love this recipe....and it only takes 30 minutes to make.
- 1 lb chicken liver, cleaned and cut in half
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, wiped clean and cut into pieces roughly the same size as the livers
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- salt and pepper
- cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat large skillet on medium high heat for a minute, then add the butter and oil.
- Saute the onions for 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the onions become translucent and the mushrooms begin to give off some liquid.
- This should take about another 3 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside while the livers are cooking.
- Add the livers to the hot skillet, adding a little more oil/butter if needed.
- Saute the livers for about 3 minutes, but do not overcook.
- Return the vegetables to the skillet with the livers.
- Add the seasonings and stir to combine.
- Add the sour cream and stir to combine.
- Allow to heat thoroughly, but do not let the sour cream boil or it will curdle.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve this stroganoff with hot fluffy rice.