Prep 45 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This recipe needs a small amount of preparation the day before. This recipe came from a friend who adapted it from a book called "Salads and Summer dishes". Please make sure that you use GREEN peppercorns and not black ones :) Cooking time is more than enough for presoaking the livers and fridge setting times. ZWT REGION: France.
- 2 cups milk
- 100 g butter (4 oz)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 450 g chicken livers (1 lb)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons crushed green peppercorns
- 9 peppercorns (to garnish)
- fresh coriander (cilantro, to garnish)
- Soak the chicken livers in the milk overnight, and before using, drain off the milk and rinse the livers in cold water.
- Melt half the butter in a saucepan and sauté the onion gently until soft and golden but not dark brown.
- Add the chicken livers and the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT for the crushed green peppercorns and the rest of the butter. Cook the mixture until the livers become firm and change colour, about 10 minutes.
- Blend the liver mixture in the blender or a food processor and once smooth, stir in the crushed green peppercorns. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving dish, the mixture should "not quite" fill it up. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Melt the remaining butter, and carefully spoon it over the pate, refrigerate until set (approx 1 hour) garnish with whole green peppercorns and coriander.
This is great pate! I think soaking the liver in the milk makes the flavour milder-I normally do not eat liver in any way, shape or form :-). Did not use the cilantro as it's not a popular ingredient in my household. Thanks kiwidutch for a recipe I will make again.