Prep 35 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a favorite during the holidays. I think it came from Gourmet Magazine.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs pink chicken livers, trimmed
- 3⁄4 cup madeira wine, plus
- 2 tablespoons madeira wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 medium shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons cognac or 2 tablespoons brandy
- 3 tablespoons port wine
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin, steeped in orange pekoe tea,drained.
- 2 tablespoons green peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- Rinse chicken livers and pat dry.
- Place livers in large bowl and pour over 3/4 cup Madeira and macerate for 1 hour.
- Drain and puree in blender.
- Pour in large bowl and add salt, pepper, nutmeg, thyme, marjoram and eggs.
- Set aside.
- Melt 1 T.
- butter in skillet and cook shallots and garlic until soft.
- Add wine, cognac, port and remaining madeira.
- Flame and reduce to 1/2.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Add clarified butter slowly while beating vigorously with wooden spoon.
- Sir in raisins and peppercorns.
- Place in buttered 1 1/2 quart pate mold or souffle.
- Place bay leaves atop.
- Cover with double layer of foil and lid.
- Place in boiling water bath.
- Bake 325 degrees 3 hours.
- Add water as needed.
- Remove and cool on rack.
- Chill in fridge 1 day before serving.