Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
You can freeze this pate in small ramekins. Allow to defrost in the refrigerator.
- 1 lb chicken liver, cleaned and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup cognac
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- FOR THE CHICKEN LIVERS: Remove any connective membranes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute chicken livers, apples, shallots and onions in butter over high heat until livers lose their pinkness. Heat cognac in a brandy warmer, ignite and carefully pour over the chicken livers. When flames die down, put this mixture into a blender container. Add sour cream and cream and blend at high speed until the livers are pureed and very smooth. Allow mixture to come to room temperature.
- In your electric mixer, beat 3/4 cup butter until it is creamy. Beat in the cooled pate until it is thoroughly blended. Place mixture in a large crock or several small ramekins and refrigerate until firm.
- When cold, baste with some melted butter. Serve with crackers, wafer thin black bread or thinly sliced cocktail rye bread.
- Love of Eating.