Charlotte J's Note:
From Emeril Lagasse. Refrigeration time 8 hours plus.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fresh chicken liver, cleaned
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons green peppercorns, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cognac or 1/4 cup brandy
- chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- french bread croutons or toast, accompaniment
- french cornichon, accompaniment (optional)
- 1In a bowl, soak the livers in the milk for 2 hours and drain well.
- 2In a large saute pan or skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat.
- 3Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes.
- 4Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 5Add the chicken livers, 1 tablespoon of the peppercorns, the bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, until the livers are browned on the outside and still slightly pink on the inside, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add the Cognac and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated and the livers are cooked through but still tender.
- 7Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- 8Discard the bay leaves.
- 9In a food processor, puree the liver mixture.
- 10Add the remaining butter in pieces and pulse to blend.
- 11Fold in the remaining 1 tablespoon peppercorns and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- 12Pack the pate into 6 individual ramekins or small molds, about 4 ounces each.
- 13Cover with plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 6 hours.
- 14To serve, place the ramekins on individual plates.
- 15Garnish the tops with parsley and surround with croutons.
- 16Serve with cornichons on the side.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Liver Pate: Terrine De Foies De Volaille
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.8
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 307.9 mg
- Sodium 270.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 14.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: