Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Emeril Lagasse. Refrigeration time 8 hours plus.
Make and share this Chicken Liver Pate: Terrine De Foies De Volaille recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb fresh chicken liver, cleaned
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons green peppercorns, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cognac or 1⁄4 cup brandy
- chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- french bread croutons or toast, accompaniment
- french cornichon, accompaniment (optional)
- In a bowl, soak the livers in the milk for 2 hours and drain well.
- In a large saute pan or skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken livers, 1 tablespoon of the peppercorns, the bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, until the livers are browned on the outside and still slightly pink on the inside, about 5 minutes.
- Add the Cognac and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated and the livers are cooked through but still tender.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- In a food processor, puree the liver mixture.
- Add the remaining butter in pieces and pulse to blend.
- Fold in the remaining 1 tablespoon peppercorns and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- Pack the pate into 6 individual ramekins or small molds, about 4 ounces each.
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 6 hours.
- To serve, place the ramekins on individual plates.
- Garnish the tops with parsley and surround with croutons.
- Serve with cornichons on the side.