Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 13 hrs 3 mins
- 4 lbs chicken livers, strictly fresh
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 ounces onions, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, finely ground
- 3 ounces brandy
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 8 ounces bacon, sliced, for lining mold (optional)
- Using a large skillet, sweat the livers in 4 oz of the butter.
- After 3 minutes, add the onion, salt, and pepper.
- Cook until the livers are just off-pink.
- Set aside and hold warm.
- Line a 2 l/2quart mold with a single layer of the bacon slices.
- Chill the mold.
- Puree the liver and onion mixture in a food processor.
- Gently warm the remaining butter.
- Add to the livers with the brandy and cream.
- Mix again to assure uniformity Pour into the well-chilled mold.
- Place the mold in a water bath that reaches to I in.
- (2.5 cm) from the top of the mold.
- Bake 45-60 minutes at 3250F (1630C) until the pate sets.
- Shake the pan gently to observe the texture. A metal cake tester should come out clean.
- The time will vary depending on the thickness of the mold.
- Record the time for future reference. Remove from the oven and water bath.
- Cover and chill for a minimum of 12 hours.
- Unmold, plate, and garnish for presentation.