Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
A very tasty appetizer that goes over very well at any party. The liver taste is hidden by the onion and Sherry. A Swedish friend helped me to develop this recipe.
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb chicken liver
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground mace
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium size saucepan, add water, chicken livers, sliced onion and bring to boil.
- The onion used in cooking the chicken livers absorbs and reduces the liver odor.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- When cooked, drain, remove onions and discard.
- Cut away any hard muscle portions of the liver and discard.
- In a food processor or blender, add liver and Sherry and process until smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup of finely chopped onion, butter, salt, pepper, mace and blend well.
- Remove pâté from food processor, form into a ball using 2 large spoons and place on a serving plate or platter.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour to chill.
- Serve with thinly sliced brown bread, rye crisp, crackers or chips.
- Refrigerate any unused portion.