Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From "Summer On A Plate" by Anna Pump of the famed Loaves and Fishes store in Long Island. Serve with toast, crunchy French bread, or apple and pear slices. This can be made ahead of time and kept covered and refrigerated for up to 1 week. Prep time does not include 2 hour chilling time.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb chicken liver, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons cognac
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- Over medium heat, saute' the onions in the olive oil in a heavy skiller for about 5 minutes until the onions turn glossy. Add the chicken livers and saute' for another 10 minutes, until just cooked. Cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor, add the Cognac, mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg, and process until smooth. Add the butter, 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) at a time, processing each time until the butter is absorbed.
- Scrape the mousse into a pretty serving bowl and chill for 2 hours or more before serving.