Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
An excellent appetizer served with toast point or crackers and a glass of Boeujolais Wine.
Make and share this Chicken Liver Mousse recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cups water
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 lb chicken liver
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon cognac
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 teaspoons water-packed green peppercorns (divided)
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- In a large saucepan or cooking pot, add water and bring to boil.
- Add black peppercorns, celery, and bay leaves.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken livers and cook gently for another 10 minutes.
- Drain, remove livers and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat butter, add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer onion/garlic to a food processor.
- Add chicken, cognac, salt, thyme, allspice and four teaspoons of green peppercorns.
- Process until smooth.
- Pour in whipping cream, process until incorporated and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon of green peppercorns.
- Mold into small ramekins and refrigerate.
- Unmold before serving.
- Serve with toast points or crackers of your choice.
I chose to saute the livers in part of the butter instead of boiling them. (I have another recipe for this that I make and I like having the onions pick up the browned bits.) This recipe has wonderful flavor. The cognac and bay, and especially the green peppercorns -- I love these so much I couldn't resist throwing a bunch more on top for garnish (those are my photos under my hubby's name). The only problem was that this did not setup well. It was fine to serve as a spread from the ramekins though. The other recipe I have for this calls for more butter and less whipping cream...I suspect that has something to do with it. I will certainly make again.
Yummmm! We had this for Thanksgiving appetizer, for lunch the next day, and for an appetizer the next day with friends where I ate so much I couldn't eat my dinner. Everyone loved it and the peppercorns give it a great peppery surprise if you're lucky enough to get one in your serving.