Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Southern Living; got this from my sis-in-law.
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions; set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken (sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste), and cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Stir in sherry and 1/2 cup water; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes or until done.
- Drain, reserving liquid; cut chicken into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
- Melt remaining butter in skillet; saute onion and mushrooms over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir together flour and 1/2 cup broth.
- Add reserved liquid, flour mixture, and remaining 1 1/2 cups broth to skillet.
- Cook, stirring often, over medium-high heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in pasta, chicken, sour cream, Monterey Jack cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
What a delight! It's more work than your usual linguine, but definetely worth it. The combination of jack cheese, parmesan, and sour cream is so wonderful!
The 5-year-old begged me to make this dish again, and requested the leftovers for lunch tomorrow, before dinner was even over. Hubby liked it too, so it's a keeper! I didn't have mushrooms, so I used a box of frzn chopped spinach. (Hubby eats spinich only begrudgingly, and he actually LIKED it in this.) YUM!