Recipe by Engrossed
From Martha Green's Cooking Things on our local public radio.
Top Review by Rita~
This is another great tortilla soup. Can feed 12 easy! I used fresh chicken broth for the water and the base added 3 cloves minced garlic and a minced jalapeno pepper. I placed the baby spinach in the bowls and let the soup wilt it. Gave it a nice texture. Loved the lime and would have been great with cilantro. Thanks!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 white onions, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 3 quarts water
- 2 whole chicken breasts, with skin on or 1 small roasting chicken
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- 5 roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, thoroughly washed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (or more to taste)
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter and oil in soup pot and sauté onions, celery and carrots over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking about 3-5 minutes.
- Add water, chicken and chicken base. Bring to low boil and cook until chicken is tender (about 25 minutes for breasts; 60 minutes for whole chicken).
- Remove chicken from pot and let cool until you can handle. Reserve liquid. Remove and discard skin and bones. Dice or shred chicken.
- Reheat liquid and add chicken, tomatoes, tomato paste, spinach, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice and parsley.
- Ladle into bowls and top with crispy tortilla strips.