Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 limes, just the juice
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon pureed chipotle chile
- 1 bay leaf
- to taste white pepper
- to taste salt
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 4 ounces reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, cubed
- 2 corn tortillas, cut in strips
- 4 lime slices
- 4 sprigs cilantro
- Poach chicken breasts then shred.
- Combine stock, lime juice, oregano, basil, pureed chipotle and bay leaf in stockpot. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Bring to boil.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken, tomatoes, red onion and cilantro.
- Bring to boil.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste. Ladle very hot soup into warm soup bowls.
- Drop in cheese cubes.
- Garnish each serving with a few baked tortilla strips, lime slices, non-fat sour cream and cilantro sprig.
Awesome authentic flavor. I didn't have monterey jack but had some gouda cheese. The gouda went well with the soup.
My family loves it when I make this soup. Last time I made it I used shrimp instead of chicken and fresh jalapenos instead of chipotles. It was delicious. It's also great with fresh avocado added when serving.
This soup has a really nice flavor. I served it for dinner last night along with Mesa Grill Bread #37758. They complimented each other nicely. I needed to add more salt to this than I usually add to food, and I skipped the sour cream and lime slice garnish. Otherwise, recipe was made as directed, and I don't believe I would change anything in the future.