Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A unique and refreshing soup. A great first course.
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, cut up
- 2 (3/4 lb) chicken, cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 1 bunch parsley, tied
- 12 peppercorns
- 1 celery
- 1 large onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, peeled and seeded first
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 limes
- 3 teaspoons parsley or 3 teaspoons cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 1 bag tortilla chips, baked
- 8 lime slices
- In a large pot or dutch oven combine chicken pieces, water, parsley, pepercorns, celery, onion quarters, salt and thyme or oregano.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook until chicken is tender-around 1 1/2 hours-skim fat.
- Remove from heat and remove chicken-cool and de-bone and skin.
- Strain and reserve broth (a few layers of wet cheesecloth would be fine).
- In the same pot heat the veg oil, add the onions and peppers and saute for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the tomatoes and carrots and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the reserved broth, squeeze in the lime juice and then throw in the lime halves.
- Stir in the parsley, season with salt and pepper and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the chicken and heat until the soup bubbles.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Remove lime halves.
- Set out bowls-up to 8 and add 6-8 tortilla chips to them, ladle soup and add a slice of lime to each.
- Offer more chips at the table.
This soup has a unique flavor due to the limes and lime juice, which gives it a tart "zing". It was excellent as the first course of a Mexican themed dinner. I used cilantro instead of parsley, as it gave more flavor to the soup. I also baked store-bought corn tortillas instead of using the chips from the store. I have frozen the left-overs in 2 serving size bowls so that we can enjoy this soup again soon. Thanks, Di! :o)
Hmmm.this was a different type of chicken soup. I and another of my guests liked it But other gave other opinions.It surely had a tangy taste but it was good.thank you for this recipe.