Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This recipe comes from Crock Pot Slow Cooker Cusine by Rival. Feel free to adjust amounts to taste.
Top Review by NcMysteryShopper
This dish was pretty simple but it misses the WOW factor. The sauce was watery and pooled on the plate under the noodles. The tomatoes had a great taste and I wish the chicken had taken on a similar flavoring. I wish I had read the other review and I would have let it cook longer.... but the chicken was cooked perfectly at the 5 hour mark. Good, but the sauce needs minor tweaking. Thanks Kitten!
- 6 -8 cut-up chicken pieces (skin on or off)
- seasoning salt and black pepper (or use white salt)
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- black pepper (or use cayenne)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 2 (4 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and dry the chicken parts.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a skillet heat the butter with oil. Brown the chicken quickly on both sides, (if you are starting your crockpot in the morning, chop onion and brown your chicken the night before, and leave in the fridge until the morning, warm in the microwave for 5 minutes before adding to the crockpot to start the cooking process).
- Place the chicken pieces in the crockpot, then sprinkle the bell pepper (if using) over the chicken.
- In a large bowl, stir together all the remaining ingredients (except the heavy cream); pour into the crockpot over the chicken pieces.
- Cover, and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in the heavy cream (if using).