Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I LOVE PF Changs Lettuce Wraps, but we live a long distance from the nearest of their restaurants. When I start craving their lettuce wraps, I make this copycat recipe, and my husband says they are even better than Changs. You be the judge. They are a little work, but well worth the effort. Note: I took the cellophane, heated about an inch of oil in a skillet, got it hot, tested it with a few crumbs of noodles to see if it would sizzle, and then dropped the noodles in. They crisp up very fast. I drained on papertowels and then mixed in with the other recipe,
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms or 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons water
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, minced
- 2 small dried chilies (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, minced
- 1 (2 ounce) package cellophane noodles, prepared according to package
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 12 leaves iceberg lettuce, cups
- (If you used dried mushrooms, cover mushrooms with boiling water, let stand 30 minutes then drain.) Cut and discard woody stems from mushrooms. Mince mushrooms. Set aside.
- Mix all ingredients for cooking sauce in bowl, and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine cornstarch, sherry water, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and chicken. Stir to coat chicken thoroughly. Stir in 1 teaspoons oil and let sit 15 minutes to marinate.
- Heat wok or large skillet over medium high heat. Add 3 TBSP oil, then add chicken and stir fry for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 2 TBSP oil to pan. Add ginger, garlic, chilies(if desired. I leave these out), and onion; stir fry about a minute or so.
- Add mushrooms, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts; stir fry an additional 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan. Add mixed cooking sauce to pan. Cook until thickened and hot. Break cooked cellophane noodles into small pieces, and cover bottom of serving dish with them. Then pour chicken mixture on top of noodles. Spoon into lettuce leaf and roll.
Hi all! I'm a LONG time employee at PF Changs and BamaKathy's recipe is almost spot on. Although there arent any bamboo shoots in the original recipe, it looks like it would be a nice added touch. After we cook the ground chicken, we chill it along with the mushrooms and the water chestnuts. We take that mixture, heat it through, add the sauce, and throw in the scallions for the last couple minutes of cooking. As for our "special sauce" we serve with it tableside, that consists of soy sauce, vinegar, chili oil, sugar, green onion, sesame oil, water, chili paste, and hot mustard. Hope this helps.
this recipe is pretty darn close!! I work at PF Changs... just no bamboo shoots for sure... or chili's..... special sauce.. which is potsticker sauce ( You apply on top of wraps) is made with chili oil, sesame oil, sugar, water, soy sauce, white vinegar, and green onions... you may add chili paste and hot mustard after for heat.... hope this helps!!!
Okay... these were SO good and very much like PF Changs! I've made another recipe on here that doesn't even compare to this one. I am so pleased!! We used butter lettuce because they make nice cups, but I won't do that again, it needs to be iceberg for sure. Another reviewer mentioned MAIFUN rice sticks for the white crunchies that PF changs uses and that was right on, they were super fun to fry up too! I also read somewhere that the special sauce started with potsticker sauce, so we used that and mixed in Sambal Oelek and spicy chineese mustard to taste and it was really close. I used one pound of ground chicken, omitted the bamboo shoots and used white mushrooms... a whole 8oz. package since I didn't use the bamboo shoots. Thank you SO much for posting!!!