Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe came from from Light & Tasty April/May 2006. I like it because it is so simple to make with great flavor. I omitted the carrots though since I am on the South beach diet phase 1.I also used iceburg lettuce because that is what I had on hand. I could eat this every day, diet or no diet. Very satisfying.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded carrots
- 1⁄2 cup julienned green onion
- 12 bibb lettuce, leaves
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil for 3 minutes; drain.
- Add the mushrooms, water chestnuts and ginger; cook 4-6 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the vinegar, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and remaining oil.
- Stir in the carrots, onions and chicken mixture.
- Spoon onto lettuce leaves; sprinkle with almonds.
- If desired, fold sides of lettuce over filling and roll up.