Recipe by Bubbles9
Whenever my family and I go to the theater in Boston, we always got to the California Pizza Kitchen and order lettuce wraps. This is my version of them. Can be made with any other meat or vegetarian by adding more veggies.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce (whichever you prefer) or 1 head romaine lettuce leaf (whichever you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 slice gingerroot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 lb chicken breasts or 1 lb sliced white chicken meat
- 1⁄2 cup bamboo shoot
- 1⁄2 cup water chestnut
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the lettuce, dry, and separate the leaves. Set aside.
- Mix together the sauce ingredients.
- Heat the sesame oil in a non-stick frying pan on high heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and green onions and fry until the garlic and ginger are aromatic.
- Add the chicken and cook until the chicken is browned. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and celery to the frying pan.
- Add the sauce ingredients and cook at medium heat.
- Give the cornstarch/water mixture a quick restir and add to the sauce, stirring to thicken.
- Add the chicken back into the wok. Cook for 2 - 3 more minutes, stirring, to heat through and finish cooking the chicken.
- Lay out a lettuce leaf and spoon a heaping teaspoon of the chicken and vegetable/sauce mixture into the middle.
- The lettuce wraps are designed to be eaten "taco-style," with the lettuce/chicken mixture folded into a package.
- Continue with the remainder of the chicken and lettuce leaves. Serve.