Recipe by daisyb6107
Healthy, Hearty soup. The aroma while it's cooking is wonderful. I found this in a magazine, made a few changes. You'll love this soup.
Top Review by reneeshort
Really tastey. I used a can of diced tomotoes, since the good ones are out of season right now, and threw in some celery I needed to use up. I also used a kale/spinach mix. Otherwise, I made the recipe as written.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry lentils
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic. Cook, covered, for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are nearly tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, bay leaves and, if using, dried basil to vegetable mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in kale, lentils, salt and black pepper. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken,tomato, and , if using, fresh basil. Simmer, covered, for 15-20 min more or until kale and lentils are tender.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.