Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Healthy, Hearty soup. The aroma while it's cooking is wonderful. I found this in a magazine, made a few changes. You'll love this soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry lentils
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic. Cook, covered, for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are nearly tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, bay leaves and, if using, dried basil to vegetable mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in kale, lentils, salt and black pepper. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken,tomato, and , if using, fresh basil. Simmer, covered, for 15-20 min more or until kale and lentils are tender.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
Simple and tasty. I precooked one pound of ground chicken. 1 TBS of garlic paste was added after cooking the onions and carrots for five minutes. Then cooked onions, carrots and garlic paste for another two minutes. This was too salty for our taste (even with low sodium chicken broth). Next time I'll only add 1/4 teaspoon. Other than that, it was delicious and hearty. Served with cheese toast wedges. No leftovers!
Wonderful easy to make soup. I added some crushed red pepper flakes for a little spice. Great flavor ina healthy way. Can't wait to make itagain.
Delicious for a snowy winter night. It is also a really pretty soup, with the contrast of the kale, tomatoes, and chicken. I added more black pepper and a little hot pepper, but otherwise it was terrific & easy. Great with crusty bread, but for the leftovers I'll try brown rice like other recommended. Thanks!