Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Beautifully tasty yet healthy soup containing lots of spices and flavours!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large red chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 chicken breast fillets, cut into 1/2in cubes (6oz each)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tomatoes, vine-ripened, diced
- 1⁄2 cup brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons pearl barley
- 5 cups chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, juice of
- 3 tablespoons thick plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a moderate heat.
- Cook the onion, garlic and chilli for 4-5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the chicken and stir over the heat to sear. Add the turmeric and cumin and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato, lentils, pearl barley and stock to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir through the lime juice. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt and fresh cilantro.
Great soup! I omitted the pearl barley and used only the juice of 1/2 lime, but otherwise followed the recipe. Full of flavour with a lovely bit of heat. Thank you English Rose!
I really loved it! I didn't have cumin, nor turmeric nor pearl barley, and instead of that I used rosemary and thyme... absolutely delicious, and also prefer the rock cornish, eventhough it's smaller it has a better taste.
Fantastic delicious meal. I used Le Puy Lentils, no garlic (didn't have any on hand) and dried chilli flakes. Would definitely make again but maybe not use quite so much lime juice.