Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Fresh Living - May 2005 Recipe by Michelle Noerianto.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large red chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 chicken breast fillets, cut into 1cm cubes (185g each)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons pearl barley
- 5 cups chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, juice of
- 3 tablespoons thick plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a moderate heat. Cook the onion, garlic and chilli for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add the chicken and stir over the heat to sear. Add the turmeric and cumin and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato, lentils, pearl barley and stock to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir through the lime juice. Serve with a dollop of yogurt and fresh coriander.