Prep 2 hrs 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
First Prize Heart's Delight Recipe Contest- Junior Division. From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
- 1133.98 g skinless chicken, cut in pieces
- 354.88 ml lentils
- 118.29 ml split peas
- 2838.0 ml water
- 236.59 ml chopped celery
- 236.59 ml chopped carrot
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 4.92 ml parsley flakes
- 2.46 ml whole thyme
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml ground turmeric
- 1.23 ml ground sage
- 1.23 ml poultry seasoning
- The night before serving, bring skinned, defatted chicken, lentils and split peas to a boil in water.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 2 hours.
- Remove chicken; bone, dice, and refrigerate.
- The next day, remove and discard any congealed fat.
- Add celery, carrots, onion, parsley, thyme, pepper, turmeric, sage and poultry seasoning.
- Simmer 1 1/4 hours.
- Just before serving, add diced chicken and heat thoroughly.
Easy tasty comfort food. We had a 6" dump of snow so I needed this. I had 2 quarts of chicken stock in the freezer with the chicken already in it so I used that as my base.Otherwise followed the recipe except for the tumeric (I was out of it) Still tasted excellent Mm Thanks Bec for a heart warming lunch