I can't remember where I got this recipe from. I probably first cooked it over 12 years ago and it is now on a handwritten scrap of paper.
- 6 ounces red lentils
- 2 garlic cloves (I use the ready crushed stuff out of a jar, 2tsp)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless and cut into chunks
- 8 ounces potatoes, boiled and diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 -2 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- salt and pepper
- Fry the lentils, garlic and onions in the butter. Add the ginger and curry powder and continue to cook for 10 minutes over a low heat.
- Add the chicken and potatoes. and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and enough water to cover the mixture.
- Cover and cook until all the water is absorbed (about 20- 30 minutes) Add the yoghurt and chutney and season.
- Mix well and serve with boiled rice.