Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This soup is what my Mom always made for me when I was sick...I called it the Thai version of Chicken Noodle Soup. The way I always ate this soup is to have the soup in a bowl and then a bowl of rice, then eat a spoonful of rice then down it with some soup. The recipe is written how I enjoy it, Hot and Sour
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb of uncooked chicken meat (I like to just throw in about 4 drumsticks or 2 leg and thighs cut up, Chicken should still be on bo)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 -2 stalk lemongrass, cut into 2 inch pieces and bruised to give more flavor
- 4 -5 fresh lime leaves, bruised to give more lime flavor
- 2 tablespoons tom yum paste
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (more or less)
- Boil the chicken stock in a large pot with the Tom-Yum Paste.
- Add in the uncooked chicken and keep at a low boil till the chicken is cooked half through.
- Bruise the lime leaves by rubbing them in your hand a bit to bruise them so they give off more flavor and aroma.
- Bruise the lemongrass by hitting it with the flat side of a knife, as you would with garlic.
- Throw the lime leaves and lemon grass into pot along with the fish sauce,lime juice, and chili flakes.
- Cook on med-low for an hour- 45 min or as long as it takes the chicken to completly cook.
- You can cook the chicken till its very tender and almost falls off the bone if you like --
- Once ready serve hot, in a bowl with another bowl of rice.
- *** ALL ingredients (lime juice, fish sauce, etc) can be increased or decreased to your liking -- I prefer this soup to be really sour, lemon/lime tasting and a bit spicy, while others may like more salty (add more fish sauce then) and sour flavor.