1/1 Photo of Chicken Lemongrass and Potato Curry - Adapted from Andrea Nguyen
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Chef #573036's Note:
This curry is great with warm baguette or rice. I have reduced the amount of oil to 1 tbsp and used chicken breasts instead of thighs but both are delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 stalks lemongrass, trimmed, quatered lenghtwise and coarsely chopped
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder, Vietnamese kind preferred
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 -2 1/2 lbs bone-in skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 4 white boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1The lemongrass, ginger and onion paste. Place lemongrass into the bowl of the food processor and process until the lemongrass is transformed into a soft, fluffy mass, about 3 minutes. (You'll see a whirling snow blizzard in the bowl.) Add the ginger to the bowl of the food process and pulse until the ginger is finely chopped. Add the onion and process the entire mixture to a nice paste.
- 2Cook the curry. Heat the oil in a large saucepan (4 or 5-quart) over medium heat. Saute the paste of lemongrass, ginger and onion until it is fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the curry powder and dried red chili flakes (if using) and continue sautéing to aromatize the spices, about 1 minute. Add the chicken pieces, salt, pepper, coconut milk and enough water to just cover the chicken. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 20 minutes.
- 3Add the potatoes. While the curry simmers, peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch chunks. Add the potatoes to the curry when the initial cooking time has elapsed. Bring the curry back to a simmer and continue cooking for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Turn off the heat and let the curry sit, covered, for 30 to 45 minutes to let the flavors meld and mature.
- 4Final touches. Reheat over low heat and correct the seasoning. Serve with lots of steamed rice, or warm baguette for dipping. Lime wedges are a good accompaniment for folks who want to cut some of the heat!
- 5NOTES & TIPS.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Lemongrass and Potato Curry - Adapted from Andrea Nguyen
Serving Size: 1 (513 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 792.3
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 145.6 mg
- Sodium 1180.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 54.1 g
- Protein 52.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: