Very refreshing soup that can be served even in the summer. You can add more vegetables according to taste. I like to roast the chicken breast on a pan before adding to the soup, as I find it adds a bit more flavour.
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 1 1⁄2 carrots, diced finely
- 1 stalk celery, diced finely
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh (or 1 tbsp dried)
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil and slowly cook onion, carrot and celery over medium heat for approx 8 min until soft.
- Add zest of lemon and rice.
- Add chicken broth and boil on low for approx 20 min until vegetables are tender.
- Add peas, chicken, lemon juice and parsley 5 minutes before serving.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.