Recipe by Deantini
Very refreshing soup that can be served even in the summer. You can add more vegetables according to taste. I like to roast the chicken breast on a pan before adding to the soup, as I find it adds a bit more flavour.
Top Review by duonyte
This was delicious. I had some ground chicken to use up, so made some little meatballs with it, and then browned those first. I even liked the celery in this, usually I don't. I put the meatballs in with the broth, since they were raw. I also used a bay leaf and a few whole peppercorns, both of which add a lot of flavor to these types of soups. No frozen peas at home, so I diced up some zucchini, which was great with the other ingredients. The only other thing I did differently was to add a squeeze of lemon after the soup was plated. I made about half the recipe, which was two generous servings.Perfect on a snowy day.
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 1 1⁄2 carrots, diced finely
- 1 stalk celery, diced finely
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh (or 1 tbsp dried)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and slowly cook onion, carrot and celery over medium heat for approx 8 min until soft.
- Add zest of lemon and rice.
- Add chicken broth and boil on low for approx 20 min until vegetables are tender.
- Add peas, chicken, lemon juice and parsley 5 minutes before serving.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.