Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Generously seasoned crisp legs. Be sure to Visit the grilling forum http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewforum.zsp?f=42 for any help!
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a zip lock bag add chicken.
- Chill and marinade for 4 hours.
- Grill chicken on a well oiled grill until well browned on all sides, turning once, 30 to 40 minutes (meat near thigh bones should no longer be pink when tested with the tip of a knife).
- All grills are different temperatures.
- Take advantage of indirect heat --.
- If the chicken browns quickly finish over indirect heat.
- All grills have hot spots so watch and be sure to move the chicken to spots on the grill so not to burn and completely cook the chicken.
- As the time of the year makes grilling quicker or slower. So take care and watch and enjoy you food as it grills.
- Be sure to Visit the grilling forum http://www.food.com/bb/viewforum.zsp?f=42 for any help!
Simply SUPER! If using leg-thigh pieces with the skin ON, I always loosen the skin a bit and use my fingers to put a bit of the rub between the skin and the meat. Works great to get those flavors into the meat. Sous Chef Bently stated he/she had problems with charring. Instead of using regular white sugar, I ALWAYS use TURBINO sugar in my BBQ. Has a higher melting temperature and does not char. Gives a GREAT brown sugar taste, too! Turbino sugar used to be hard to find in stores but I think most of them are starting to carry it now. Look for "Sugar in the Raw"
The flavor of this chicken is outstanding. I cooked it over indirect heat then browned over direct heat. However, I found this is more of a rub than a marinade. I mixed all the ingredients in a small bowl and slathered it on the chicken. I refrigerated on a plate covered with plastic wrap. This recipe goes into my hard copy "Family Favorites" cookbook. Thank you Rita, for posting this.
UPDATE: Since I started using this recipe in 2007, the powers that be decided that injecting chicken with a "flavor enhancing solution", was the way to go. I finally figured out why my grilled chicken was no longer getting crispy! I now buy only organic chicken for the grill and am again enjoying Rita's fantastic recipe.
I made a big batch of this seasoning mix today and sprinkled it over 2 cut-up chickens then drizzled with olive oil. I marinated for about 5 hours and my husband grilled. The flavor was really good and the meat very juicy. This was so easy and everyone loved it! Probably the only change I might make next time is to add a little more garlic. Thanks for posting this great recipe!