Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
I believe this was found on the Betty Crocker website. (Prep time does not include the refrigeration required before baking.)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup sliced leek
- 8 slices French bread, each 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken or 1 cup turkey
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill weed or 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Melt butter in 1-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook leeks in butter about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened; remove from heat.
- Cut enough bread into 1-inch cubes to measure 5 cups. Mix bread cubes, leeks, chicken and dill weed. Spread bread mixture in ungreased square baking dish, 8x8x2 inches. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Mix remaining ingredients; pour over cheese. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 4 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 325°F Uncover and bake 50 to 55 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.