1/1 Photo of Chicken, Leek & Mushroom Casserole
1 hr 15 mins
Meredith .F's Note:
From Martha Stewart Living July 2009...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 149.68 g chicken, boneless skinless
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 73.94 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, white and pale-green parts only, coarsely chopped and rinsed well
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 283.49 g cremini mushrooms, halved
- 44.37 ml all-purpose flour
- 44.37 ml dry sherry
- 532.32 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 177.44 ml whole milk
- 1 bay leaf, dried
- 8 slice multigrain bread, crusts removed, slices cut into triangles
- 29.58 ml fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 78.07 ml parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook until golden brown on 1 side, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip, reduce heat to medium, and cook until cooked through, about 10 minutes more. Transfer chicken to a plate, and return pan, with drippings, to medium heat.
- 3Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in pan. Add leek, celery, mushrooms, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are golden brown and tender, 8 to 10 minutes. (Reduce heat if vegetables brown too quickly.)
- 4Stir in flour, and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add sherry, stock, milk, and bay leaf, and cook, scraping up browned bits from bottom, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf.
- 5Arrange bread on bottom of a 2-quart oval baking dish, overlapping slices slightly. Spoon half of the vegetables and sauce over bread. Slice chicken crosswise, 1/2 inch thick, and arrange on bread. Top with any accumulated juices from chicken. Spread remaining vegetables and sauce over chicken, sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan, and bake until golden brown and bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 6Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Leek & Mushroom Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.2
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 26.8 mg
- Sodium 155.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 11.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: