Recipe by bluemoon downunder
A tasty chicken latke recipe, flavoured with dill and served with a tzazikki sauce and your favourite salad. This is a great brunch, lunch or mid-week dinner dish. And because the potato and chicken are cooked together, a light salad not only complements the crispness of the latkes, but is an ample accompaniment. Adapted from a recipe on a 'Pan and Wok' recipe card, from International Masters Publishers.
Top Review by Elmotoo
These are fabulous! You should have seen how the kids gobbled them up (well, we all did but it was nice to see the KIDS chowing, kwim?) I made a strained yogurt w/dill, garlic, s&p sauce instead of tzatziki & it was wonderful.
- 175 g chicken breast fillets, skinned
- 700 g baking potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, plus dill to garnish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the chicken into thin strips, about 6mm/1/4 inch wide.
- Peel and grate the potatoes and place them in a colander. Peel the onion, then grate it into the colander. Press down on the mixture with the back of a spoon or with the palm of your hand, then to remove more excess moisture (so that the latkes crisp well) sandwich the potato/onion mixture between 2 sheets of paper towelling and squeeze until completely dry.
- Lightly beat the egg whites in a large mixing bowl, stir in the flour, dill and salt. Add the chicken and the potato/onion mixture and stir until well-combined.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based non-stick pan.
- Add 4 heaped tablespoons of the chicken/potato mixture, spacing well apart. Gently flatten each one with the back of a spatula, and sauté on each side, or until each side is cooked through and a golden brown. Remove the latkes from the pan, set aside and keep warm. Repeat the process with the remaining chicken/potato mixture to make 8 latkes.
- Garnish with dill and serve with salad and a tzazikki sauce.