Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
I love this recipe - this is one that came from my Mom, and my family enjoys it also -
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes with juice, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, split
- 1 (16 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- parsley (to garnish)
- In a large saucepan< heat 2 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic.
- Cook, stirring 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomatoes with juice, water, tomato paste, 1 teaspoons salt and oregano. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, cut chicken breasts crosswise into very thin slices. In large skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring until chicken loses it's pink color. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- To assemble, spoon 1/2 cup of the sauce into a 13x9-inch baking dish. Top with 4 lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the ricotta, 1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the mozzarella, and 1/3 of the Parmesan. Repeat layers and top with 1/2 cup of the sauce.
- Bake 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Heat remaining remaining tomato sauce and serve with lasagna.