Prep 20 mins
Cook 32 mins
Chicken, beans, canned chili and Velveeta--I am in heaven.
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken, seasoned with
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili with beans (I use Wolfe brand)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1⁄4 cup canned tomatoes and green chilies (I use Rotel brand, either mild or hot)
- 8 ounces Velveeta Mexican cheese (mild or hot)
- Distribute the chicken evenly over the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking dish (glass or ceramic); set aside.
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add in the onion and bell pepper; stir/saute for 3-4 minutes or until the veggies are softened.
- Distribute the onion/pepper mixture evenly over the chicken.
- Spread the chili evenly over the top.
- Distribute the pinto beans and then the tomatoes evenly over the top.
- Cut the Velveeta into thick slices and place them over the tomatoes.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 28-32 mintues or until the casserole is bubbly around the edges and the Velveeta is melted.
WONDERFUL! The only thing I changed was I used original tomatoes&green chilies and 16oz plain velveeta, for a nacho dinner. My wife ate it like a casserole and I ate it on nachos. This will be perfect for a crock pot dish/dip for our HUGE family reunion. I can't wait to eat the left overs today. 2 thumbs up from this girl!
This was pretty good. I left out the pinto beans as I figured for us the beans in the chili would be enough. I used green onions instead of regular onions. I used a can of tomatoes and green chilies that was mild, but it was still almost to hot to eat for me and also for my Indian hubby. Next time I'll probably just use a can of tomatoes and not put in any chilies. We tamed it down with some yogurt at the table. The Velveeta cheese was a nice change, I usually go for the shredded cheeses.