Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A good, spicy, filling soup. This is the only soup I can make that my family will accept as a meal - we love the Thai flavours of lime, coriander, fish sauce and coconut....mmm!
- 200 g thin dried noodles
- 2 red chilies
- 4 garlic cloves
- 5 cm peeled and roughly chopped green ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 cup coriander root, stems and leaves
- 50 ml sesame oil
- 3 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 liter light coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 50 ml fish sauce
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup mint leaf
- 3 finely sliced green onions
- 1 cup fresh bean sprout
- lime wedge
- Soak the noodles in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Put chillies, garlic, ginger, coriander seeds, fresh coriander and oil into food processor and process to a coarse paste.
- Slice the chicken breasts diagonally.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat add the paste and fry for 1 minute, stir well.
- Add coconut milk and stock.
- Bring to boil, simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add fish sauce and chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add lime juice.
- Divide noodles between bowls and ladle soup over them.
- Sprinkle with mint leaves, green onions,bean shoots and lime wedges.
What can I say? It's wonderful! Very easy to make, full of spice, crunchiness and flavor. It was nice to have a cup measurement for the fresh coriander, instead of "1 bunch." Thank you very much for sharing another excellent recipe with us.
This is excellent. I cut up a whole BBQ chicken and followed the recipe exactally. The fresh herbs, fish sauce and lime juice are fabulous in this easy to make, filling soup. Thanks Fairy Nuff for another great recipe that I will use often :)
Absolutely delicious and rich tasting, and the finish of fresh mint and lime is terrific. I had a little confusion over the quantities of liquid--with help from Fairy Nuff, I basically used equal amounts of stock and coconut milk. Next time, I am looking forward to making this with shrimp and substituting shrimp stock for the chicken stock. Thank you, Fairy Nuff.