- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 large potatoes, peel and cut into 1/4
- 1 large carrot, peel cut into 1-inch
- 2 white onions, cut into 6 wedges
- 2 fresh red chilies, cut into half
- 1 large tomatoes, cut into 4 wedges
- 5 tablespoons kurma curry powder, mixed with
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups plain water
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 3 pieces tamarind pulp or 2 tablespoons tamarind juice
- 3 cm cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 4 cardamoms
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- salt, and
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 stalk spring onion, cut into 1-inch
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 inches fresh ginger
- 5 shallots
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan and fry pounded ingredients until fragrant. Add cinnamon, star anise and cardamom. Fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add kurma curry powder paste and cook on low heat for 5 minutes or until oil separates.
- Add chicken pieces and 2 cups of water and cook chicken on low until half cook. Add coconut milk, potato, carrot and cook until potato tender. Add more water if the gravy too thick.
- Add onions, chillies, tomatoes and tamarind. Cook for 2 more minutes. Season with salt and sugar.
- Garnish with spring onion.