Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from Pan American's Round the World Cookbook. Posted for ZWT6. This recipe comes from Kashmir, a region of the Indian subcontinent that is claimed by both India and Pakistan. The original says you can substitute 1 teaspoon powdered ginger for the fresh, but I don't recommend this.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Add onions and saute for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add ginger, garlic and cayenne.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add buttermilk and tomatoes.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add nuts, chicken and salt.
- Cook over low heat for 1 hour, or until chicken is tender.
- Pour cream over chicken and stir well.
We enjoyed this delicious dish very much. The very finely ground nuts added a wonderful flavor and texture to the sauce and it was mild enough for DH to handle. Thank you for sharing a very good recipe.
A smooth creamy curry, mild but still rich with flavour. I did omit the salt, but otherwise as recipe. We very much enjoyed this, and leftovers, as is often the case with curry, were even better the next day!!! Thank you, Chocolatl, a very good curry, made for ZWT 8, go Lemon Lovelies!!! :)
An easy, flavorful, chicken dish. The texture of the nuts didn't quite work for me with the rest of the dish. Perhaps they would have been better more finely ground. I would also reduce the salt, since there's plenty of flavor in the other ingredients. I had some chilled from the refrigerator for lunch the next day, which wasn't quite as good as heated, but plenty good for leftovers.