Recipe by Chocolatl
Adapted from Pan American's Round the World Cookbook. Posted for ZWT6. This recipe comes from Kashmir, a region of the Indian subcontinent that is claimed by both India and Pakistan. The original says you can substitute 1 teaspoon powdered ginger for the fresh, but I don't recommend this.
Top Review by Pesto lover
We enjoyed this delicious dish very much. The very finely ground nuts added a wonderful flavor and texture to the sauce and it was mild enough for DH to handle. Thank you for sharing a very good recipe.
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 4 onions, sliced
- fresh ginger, chopped (one-inch piece)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup ground almonds
- 1⁄4 cup ground cashews
- 2 whole chickens, cut in pieces (3 1/2 pounds each)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Add onions and saute for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add ginger, garlic and cayenne.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add buttermilk and tomatoes.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add nuts, chicken and salt.
- Cook over low heat for 1 hour, or until chicken is tender.
- Pour cream over chicken and stir well.