Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
The word "korma" refers less to composition of the dish itself and more the cooking method applied - essentially, the style of cooking in a korma is a slow, long braise in the spices, rather than adding the chicken pieces into the sauce at the end. This bring out the richness of the dish as the chicken is steeped in the flavors of the spices for an extended duration.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 1⁄2 cup cashew nuts
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 onion
- 4 cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- saffron, several strands
- salt, as desired
- Clean and prepare chicken by removing excess fat.
- Blend ginger and garlic pastes, nuts, and water until smooth.
- Heat ghee.
- Fry onions and then add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, coriander powder, jeera powder, chili powder, garam masala and cumin seeds.
- Fry untill they darken and sputter.
- Add cashew-garlic mixture prepared previously and let cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Now add chicken, mixing to ensure it is coated properly with spices.
- Reduce heat, add salt, and allow to cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Beat the yoghurt and add in small amounts while cooking on medium heat.
- When chicken is tender and well-cooked, stir in cream, saffron and cilantro (hint: warm cream till tepid and dissolve saffron in it first, then pour).
- Allow to simmer for a further 5-8 minutes.
- Goes well with basmati rice.
Delicious though I added a sachet of coconut cream and half a tin of coconut milk to add the authentic flavour. I also added some sliced almonds to the mix to add some nice finishing touches. It is also possible to use the same recipe and add mango and pineapple to it to make a Chicken Kashmiri...
I can't believe that I haven't rated this... I've prepared it several times now on special occasions because it is just soooo rich and delicious! OMG I can't wait until we have this again tonight!
It was okay.