Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
A subtly spiced curry with fresh ginger, nuts and coconut milk.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 green cardamoms, lightly crushed (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 7 tablespoons coconut milk
- 5 -7 cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, peeled and grated
- 1 pinch garam masala
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan or wok and add the onion, garlic and chili. Fry for 5 minutes over a medium heat.
- Stir in the cardamom (if using), turmeric, cumin, coriander and salt.
- Add the tomato paste.
- Reduce the heat, stir in the chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk.
- Grind the nuts using a pestle and mortar or food processor and add them to the mixture with 1 cup of freshly boiled water. Simmer gently for 8 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garam masala.
- Serve with naan bread and a crisp green salad.
Kind of bland. Needs a little taste lift.