Recipe by najwa
This is a wonderful chicken recipe I got from my mother. It is Indian-based, you can add more spices if you like.
Top Review by Christine Farrar
This was delicious! I don't have much experience with cooking Indian food, but this was not difficult to prepare. I didn't have any buttermilk, so substituted yogurt and it worked well. -Chris
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 -8 cardamom pods
- 6 -10 cloves
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 chicken breast halves, cut into 4 pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried hot pepper
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium-high heat, and add cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
- When the aroma is released, reduce heat, and add the onion and garlic, cook until onion is softened.
- Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes, then add salt, ground cinnamon, ground cardamom, ground cloves and hot pepper.
- Mix well so the spices cover the chicken.
- Add tomato sauce and water, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add buttermilk, ground cumin and coriander, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice or naan bread.