Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Chicken Kiev is one of those old favourites that everyone loves, especially the kids - this version is served with a smooth butter bean purée.
- 2 (3 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 -5 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
For the butter bean mash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can butter beans, drained
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese or 3 ounces gruyere, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce or 3 drops other hot chili sauce
- salt and pepper
- lemon wedge, and
- green salad, to serve
- Using a small knife, horizontally cut a pocket into each chicken breast.
- Mix together the butter, parsley, garlic and plenty of salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture into the pocket of each chicken breast.
- Stir together the breadcrumbs and parmesan. Dust the chicken breasts in the seasoned flour then the beaten egg and finally, roll in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan and cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- To make the butter bean purée heat the olive oil in a small pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes until softened. Add the beans to the pan and cook gently for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until warmed through. Add the cheese to the pan with the butter stirring until melted.
- Using a hand blender, whiz the mixture until smooth and creamy. Stir in the cilantro, if using, and add salt, pepper and Tabasco to taste.
- Spoon the purée onto serving plates and top with the chicken Kiev. Serve with lemon wedges and crisp green salad.
this butter bean mash is divine and I follow the recipe exactly-its great for me on weight watchers as is so tasty and easy to do!!