Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tara's Russian Christmas classic
Make and share this Chicken Kiev recipe from Food.com.
- 20 chicken cutlets, thin sliced breast
- 1⁄2 cup butter (very cold)
- 1⁄2 cup smoked gouda cheese
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1 bunch chives
- 1 bunch dill
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 40 slices bacon
- 20 skewers
- Finely chop dill, garlic, and chives. Set aside in their own bowls.
- Combine 2 cups of flour, 2 tsp salt and a tsp pepper (to taste), 4 tsps each of the dill, garlic, and chives. Mix until blended.
- Fill a dinner plate with 1/2 cup of your flour mixture. (Refill plate as needed.).
- Whisk eggs and milk together and set by the plate.
- Cut gouda and butter into 1/2" cubes.
- Form your assembly line: chicken, egg mixture, flour, cheese and butter and herbs and skewers.
- Fill a frying pan with the oil and get heating over med-high heat and preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dip chicken fully into egg mixture.
- Coat both sides with flour mixture.
- Press gouda cube into butter cube onto the center of chicken cutlet.
- Add a tsp of each of the dill, chives and garlic.
- Wrap tightly and secure with skewer. Trim off excess skewer, leaving about 2 inches on both ends, for easy flipping when frying.
- Fry on three sides for ~5 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan, wrap in two pieces of bacon (secure ends with the skewers, if desired).
- Continue frying until bacon and chicken are cooked. ~5 minutes per side again.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towel.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove skewers and enjoy.