Prep 1 hr 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
A traditional Russian dish, this recipe is from a Russian friend I work with. She has shared a number of reciepes with me, this is the best. The only changes have been to de-metric the recipe. This makes for an impressive entree for a romantic dinner with candles and a fine wine. It's not fast, but Russians are never in a hurry for a good meal, why should you be?
- 1⁄4 cup butter (NOT margarine)
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 pinch tarragon
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Combine butter with the ingredients for the sauce. Mix together well. Divide and shape the mixture into four separate rolls on a sheet of wax paper. Refrigerator until quite firm (1/2 hr or more).
- Take your chicken breasts and pound each with a meat mallet thinly on greaseproof paper. Make sure there are no holes for the sauce to run through. If the meat does rip, spread the pieces over the hole and pound together.
- Take a cold butter roll and place in the middle of a chicken breast. Fold the meat around it and roll. Make sure the butter is completely covered.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper and coat the chicken fillets. Dip each in beaten egg and milk mixture and roll in the breadcrumbs. Refrigerate on a tray for one hour.
- In a saucepan or heavy skillet, heat oil but do not bring to a boil. If the oil is too hot, the breadcrumbs will burn before the meat is cooked through. Lower the chicken fillets deep into the hot oil and cook for about 5 minutes.